Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Difference Between Exclusive and Non-Exclusive

As a beginner in selling beats I must say I have quite A LOT to learn about the producing market. One of those things are leasing and selling exclusive. Now, a lot of you may already know what this is but this is for those of you who may not.

When I first signed up for an account on http://www.myflashstore.net/ and uploaded mp3 files of my beats I saw two options for setting prices. Non-Exclusive simply means you're leasing the beat, so it sells over and over again and the buyer has limited rights to it's use. I knew that. Exclusive on the other hand kinda had me scratching my head.

I noticed other sellers priced "Exclusive" higher than the Non-Exclusive and I was just going to do the same thing because, well, as someone who also sells graphics, I thought it worked something like "Enhanced License" which pretty much gives extended rights.

I refrained from pricing it on exclusive, however, because I wasn't sure and had a "feeling" I wouldn't want to do that. (Thank the Lord above for those smart gut instincts, eh?)

Thankfully, later, I get an email from the website explaining the difference between the two, and it turns out my suspicions were correct, that selling exclusive means you're selling the RIGHTS, your ownership, meaning you will no longer own the beat. Therefore, I would think since you no longer own it that you could no longer sell leases of it either. You forfeit your right to sell that beat over and over. Sad thing about it is, I see a lot of people pricing exclusive particularly low!

If you want to make more money without just selling regular leases, then I'd like to suggest making something kinda like "enhanced license" or something like that where you give extended rights. If you want to sell exclusive on the other hand, then I suggest pricing it higher... MUCH higher. Like maybe $1,000 at least.

I mean, after all, if you can no longer lease that great beat you made out to people, then I'd think you'd want to get as much as you can out of that one purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment